I would love one of accomplishments in my life to be the writer of a well-written, good message children's book. The kind of book that stays with you.
I guess that's because books were my constant companion through childhood. I don't remember a time in which I didn't absolutely love to read. Almost obsessively so. Staying up late to finish a book. Ignoring everyone and everything around me until the story was complete.
There were plenty of filler books. Easy reads that I was addicted to (my modern day equivalent being a good Nora Roberts romance), but then there were those books that hung around through the years. More than the "oh yes, I loved Nancy Drew books!" comment during a random conversation with friends. I'm talking about a much deeper connection to the story. There are several that I can think of to make this list…Chronicles of Narnia, The Rats of NIMH, A Wrinkle in Time. More recently, on the advice of my fifth-grade teaching brother-in-law, Chasing Spirit Bear and Tree Girl. But I can't forget Bridge to Terabithia. The first book I remember being read to me. I was in kindergarten. Carrie was in fifth grade. I distinctly remember a reading in the basement, sharing the old "golden" plastic recliner with Carrie as she read me the story. And in true bridge to Terabithia fashion, we didn't stop at reading the book. Terabithia became our world too…well, our version of Terabithia that is.
I will forever be connected to my sisters through books. Just last weekend, Amy and I bonded once again as we poked around several used bookstores. Recommendations were made. Books were bought. Amy even brought me books to read from TX. I'm afraid my reading hobby would be sadly ignored if not for her. It's reminiscent of the time she bought Prince Caspian after I fell in love with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Amy was so excited for me and the infectious reading that C.S. Lewis inspired that she wanted to encourage it further.
It was through my sisters' example that I learned to love reading. I am lucky to see that example continued for my nieces. I distinctly remember sitting down with Jacelynn (4) and Myla (1) sometime ago, sprawled out on the carpet reading book after book. Myla kept pulling books off the shelf, bringing them to Jace and me, plopping down beside me, and listening with her one year old attention span. And then repeat the whole thing as soon as the book was over. Of the many times I have gotten to be with those girls, that is probably my favorite moment...to participate in the example my sister has established for those girls. The ultimate aunt/niece bonding. And now I hear stories of Jace reading to Myla and Ripley, creating a sister bond just like her mom did with me.
A book tells a story, but it can do much more than that. It provides insight, understanding, knowledge, perspective. And that's just to the individual reader. Books move beyond that. They connect people, not just to the story but to each other, through insight, understanding, knowledge, and perspective.
What message would I want to send through a book? One of understanding. Of stewardship. Of kindness. Of motivation.
I just realized that I violated my blogging band on capitalization. I guess if I aspire to authorship I must embrace all rules of grammar...
I think that blog deserved a few capital letters. Made me smile Sarah Jo. Made me smile.
ReplyDelete