Wednesday, March 23, 2011

because i love plants!

So it's been decided (by me!) that the centerpieces for this shindig will not be cut flowers; instead, we're talking vibrant, fresh green potted plants. And not just because I think it looks cool. Potted plant centerpieces can double as favors for the guests, easily be grown at home, and are often times more eco-friendly than cut flowers. Also, my favorite flowers are spring flowers anyway so I wasn't attached to any specific July flower.

What kind of plotted plants is still up for discussion. My research on native species isn't coming up with any spectacular choices. Sister Amy suggested the ornamental sweet potato vine and I love it. I was just hesitant to use an exotic. This species is fine in containers, but as soon as the plants are planted outside, there is potential for them to go crazy--multiplying vegetatively through super effective rhizomes. If guests took them home, there's no guarantee they wouldn't end up outside. I'm getting over that concern a bit, thinking a cute "care card" in each pot could explain proper care and the need to keep this beautiful plant contained!

Also, grandma started several variegated devil's back bone for me--a great, easy to care for house plant. So currently thinking about using both...

But this post is really to show you the wooden planters I bought from a former bride. She used them in her wedding to hold her flower centerpieces.  Here they are in action...


And here is a photo of planters as they come from Ikea.  The ones I purchased  have been stained a darker color.

So I've decided to abandon my wooden plank runner idea (see previous post).  Wooden planters are more versatile I think, but I am sad to say goodbye...

No comments:

Post a Comment